Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

Ok, great, you want to be sweet and romantic. I totally understand. I like that sort of stuff. I love flowers. I love getting dressed up fancy for a dance. I love being with someone I like (but I have never done that on Valentines day, it is always several someones, which is good too).
BUT... This just gets a little silly. Thanks, but I don't know why we still hand out valentines like 4th graders. I like homemade ones better. You thought about me, and didn't pay anything into the insane commercial side of the holiday.
And everyone hands out chocolate. I love chocolate, but I am trying to be healthy, lose weight and look good. Chocolate doesn't do much for that. Sadly, I have to admit that I did buy candy to share with my friends. But I am keeping it in my room so they can have as much or as little as they want. Come on, this is one day that makes me at least very self-conscious of my looks. All these adorable couples are walking around, and I am all by myself. Apparently I need to do something. Guys just don't ask girls like me out. I don't know why, they just don't. So then I eat chocolate and feel worse. That doesn't make sense. Anyone want to come eat a bunch of Hershey Kisses? I don't want them. Give me flowers any day.
And then there is just the, I don't know... expectation, that Valentines brings. What if you like someone, but that doesn't matter because it just won't work? We feel Single Awareness Day worse than anyone. Or you just don't have a crush so you just don't care? Everyone keeps bringing it up and I am sure at least some of them think "why?!" I mean, come on!!
And finally, for those who have a Valentine, don't you agree that the huge commercial emphasis on the day makes it harder to enjoy? Who needs expensive gifts? Can't you just go to some free activity, just the two of you? If I were in that situation, I would be happy with dinner at the Cannon, the housing dance (for free) and an evening watching a movie. Maybe just us, maybe with some friends. So, if you have dining plan, that adds up to $0.
So why do we all need to spend a bunch of money? To shove the holiday in everyone's face so that some big companies can make money.
OK, I have now joined all the other bloggers who are probably posting about the same thing online today. So that was totally pointless. I just didn't want to put this on FB, cuz I don't want to offend all the adorable couples at BYU. Especially the lobby couples. They're cute; like puppies; and other small animals. :D

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

"They're cute like puppies!" What a wonderful description! and what an insightful post!

Leigh said...

Why thank you! :D lol. I see puppies everywhere now...