Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Shadows in the Paint

I had wanted to revisit the Types and Shadows exhibit, but as my daily life continued to build towards finals into one round of non-stop studying or brainless slacking, the opportunity continued to evade me. I was thrilled to find out that not only was I required to go, our class was going to be given a tour.

The first thing I realized is that not all the displays are great. At least not for everyone. The girl with the bread really wasn’t that impressive in my mind. After having it explained, I saw the idea behind it, but it never connected. But then moving onto the beautiful picture with the glass of water, I kept getting the feeling that there was more than I could see. The glass was so clear and so close to reach. But at the same time, it was so far away. The woman in the background was experiencing exactly what I was feeling. Her face looked like she wanted the glass so desperately, but just couldn’t get to it.

The other picture I really liked was the Prodigal Son painting of the table. I spent a good 10 to 15 minutes standing there and ignoring everything, trying to understand the picture. I still don’t get it all, but I got the most general, overall idea of it. It fascinated me how, if I removed the middle panel, the other two would fit together. To me it seemed to say that I will be shaped by all my experiences, good and bad. My life will be changed by all my actions. But I don’t need to experience all the bad things to have a complete life. It was a beautiful illustration of how life is changed by experience. I am planning some time during break, or just before Christmas to go back just for that painting. It really deserves more attention than I was able to give it.

Overall, I thought the exhibit was beautifully put together. Although I didn’t connect with all the images at first, or even second view, I can see how much deeper the meaning of each one goes. I am going to spend time looking at the art when there is no one talking to me. Despite how insightful and enjoyable the tour was, I also wanted some time to just allow the feelings to resonate with me. The spirit was easily felt when I got lost in the feelings of the art.

No comments: