Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Parallel Lines

As I sit here, contemplating the similarities in the Old Testament and early LDS exoduses, I am finding it hard to put into words. Although I'm not an artistic person, sometimes I am very visual. And this is just one of those times that I need a picture to help me. Like we discussed about the Types and Shadows exhibit, images can convey more than words ever could. Since the parallels between the situations fascinate me, I am going to show you some amazing Photoshop work that helps me make sense of what was going on.


 Yeah, I sorta like Photoshop. The map starts at the top in bondage. This can also show spiritual bondage to Satan, not just physical bondage to mortal enemies. Then the followers of God wandered in the wilderness. They come to the mountain of the Lord, which is either an actual mountain (Sinai) or the temple in Kirtland. The best escape from spiritual bondage is found in the temple. This is followed by more wilderness wandering. It ends finally in the Promised Land, or Deseret/Utah. These lands are both mountainous regions. In them rests both living water and dead, salty water. We must personally come to Celestial safety and our eternal promised land. Right now, I think I'm in a wandering stage. Probably the one just before the mountain of the Lord, since I haven't been endowed in the temple yet. It's interesting how much time is spent in wandering because much of life really is just small progress from one stage to the next. Basically wandering. As long as I wander in the correct direction, I know I will eventually reach my eternal promised land.

No comments: