Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Personal Role

Last Thursday was probably my favorite day of D&C so far. We spent the entire hour dedicated to discussing Section 25, the revelation to Emma Smith. Usually the discussion is "Emma was a great woman who collected our hymns. Why are the hymns important?" I was surprised by a verse-by-verse analysis. It was the most intense and enlightening lesson I have heard in a long time.

The first point we discussed was the reality of the phrase “my daughter.” God is our father. He is not a distant father; He is very intimate and personal. My spiritual growth over the past six months has focused on the idea that my Heavenly Father loves me, personally and sincerely. I gained a greater witness that God cares deeply for his children.

I noticed Emma was promised an inheritance in Zion, which has helped me when I’ve wondered if women will get to create worlds of our own in the Celestial Kingdom. I love using my imagination, and I want the chance to create worlds. I believed I would have that chance if I wanted it, and if I honored my covenants. But the promise to Emma made it clear that I will have “worlds without number.”

“Elect lady” then took on a new meaning to me. Every elect lady has a calling in the home. While men are the providers and protectors of the family, women are nurturers, comforters, and peace-makers. No matter how much I love my dad, my mother was my warmest fire in the coldest winter. Emma was exactly who Joseph needed. She was his home. Without her, Joseph would have fallen at the first blow.

The Lord takes a special interest in Emma, to show her what she’s capable of, and encourages her to act as scribe and teacher. As Joseph translates, Emma is given authority to record the holy words, helping her to realize her own special mission. Her authority is closely connected to his, providing an image of the relationship God intends for husbands and wives. She also is told to exhort the church. God recognizes that she understands the scriptures and has the capability to expound and teach them effectively. She will be guided by the spirit, and given the same authority of any male teacher. I love that Emma got to be both a loving companion and an ordained servant in the work. Emma’s life provides a message of hope that, as a woman, I am highly capable of learning and teaching.

Along with encouraging Emma in her pursuits, the Lord assures her that she will be supported by Joseph. Where I am in life, I can understand the relief this encouragement would provide. I am trying to make some major decisions about the direction my life will take. Will I be able to keep a job? What if I get married, will I be able to graduate? Would a degree in a field I love truly benefit me? Not only does God support the righteous desires of His daughters, He also expects His sons to support them in achieving their dreams. I will not only be able to follow my dreams, I won’t have to do it on my own.

I know that God loves me. He loves all of His daughters. This divine love will not leave me without support. I know that I have a very real and important purpose here, and that I am capable fulfilling it. My Father in Heaven will help me to come Home.

No comments: