Sunday, May 22, 2011

My First Email

Well, ok, second. But this is just an easy way to catch up. I'll be recording my summer here on the blog. It will be a great way to keep track of my life. :) This was just a letter to my extended family. The rest of the posts will be a bit more polished with some photos even!

So this weekend has been fun. I was thrown in charge of kid's camp until the actual councelor gets here. Along the way, I burned pretty thoroughly. I included a picture. I didn't even realize I was pink until dinner when one of my friends pointed it out. I couldn't feel it at all. I thought it was just a little warm and it would brown by today. Then I took a hike before bed. Then it hurt like nothing else!! Luckily I found my tube of Aloe. 

Kid's camp is fun but a bit crazy. Today I was keeping a 4 year old, a 5 year old, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old in tow and happy. The 4 year old was from Switzerland and spoke no English. But she just loved the 5 year old, who is from Wales. And the two boys were brothers from Boston. It was a pretty international group I had with me.

I took a hike up to Emerald Pools on Wednesday when I had my day off. It was really pretty. I've got some pictures up on Flickr. I'll get around to putting up pics from last night's hike a bit later. But what I've got will go up on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/62744757@N04/ should get you to everything.

I've now gone on two hikes. One in the park and one on site. They have very different views, but were both so beautiful. This world that God created is just so amazing! I love the sky and clouds and little shrubby trees and rocks and everything!!!! Earlier this week I was just out by our tent sites and I looked out and there were white clouds in a bright blue sky and I wished I could capture the beauty somehow. The horizon spread out forever and the sky seemed endless above it. It was the cleanest, most amazing view ever! I could see up towards Bryce and down right into Zion. And everything between it was so wide and big! I wish everyone could have a moment like that. 

I knew right then that the reason I am here at this job is because of those views. I'm here to share the love of Zion with guests and all those around me. It's not only the mission statement of the resort, it's something I'm good at. I remember my freshman year, Ben said he'd never really thought about how amazing the mountains were because he'd always lived there. He knew they were beautiful, but he didn't understand why I'd suddenly just stop and stare or spin in circles to see everything at once. Ari says that one of her favorite things about him is that he notices things like that just when walking around or whenever. I was able to not only tell him about the beauty, I was able to help him notice it more. And I just love it so much that I can't help but tell people to stop and look when it's that amazing. So that's why I'm here. I'm so excited!

I love you all. Enjoy the week. Take 5 minutes one day and look at something you've seen a hundred million times and notice how beautiful it is.

No comments: