Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Life after Death

A little over a year ago, my paternal grandpa died. He followed his wife, who had gone home less than two years previously. Their oldest, and only biological, child, Sydney, only has a single date on her headstone. I was here in Utah when my grandpa passed away, and watched as he neared that time. For me, it changed my perspective on life and death. Rather than viewing death as the end, I now realize that it's just as much a beginning. He is now home with his beloved wife and their long-missed daughter. Here on earth, we wish they were still with us, but where they are they are free from the ills that affected them in life.

Section 137 teaches me more about where my family is now. My grandparents, life-long and dedicated members of the church, are safe in the spirit world, waiting the resurrection when they will regain their bodies. Sydney is waiting with them. She never reached her first birthday, let alone her eighth. Despite this, God knows her heart, and has brought her home to be with Him. I will someday meet the aunt that I don't even have stories about.

The judgment system is fairly basic to a member of the church, but section 137 not only answers, but also raises questions. I wonder if Sydney is a little girl, or a grown woman. I wonder how she felt, finally meeting her mortal parents. Or even more so, how did they feel meeting her? I am satisfied that whatever the answers, my family is safe. Death will someday come to me, and I can be sure that so long as I do my best, I will go home and see them together once again.

No comments: